rewired one ceiling rose; 2nd light on permanently
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lostintoolroom
Labourer
Labourer

rewired one ceiling rose; 2nd light on permanently

by lostintoolroom » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:26 pm

I must explain first off that I am a novice (female) diy-er. I am trying to replace the lights in my sitting room. I have 2 ceiling lights that work off the same switch.
i have rewired the first light and not touched the 2nd. the one I have rewired had 3 cords coming out of the ceiling (I'm assuming a switch, 1st light and 2nd light). I have wired it so that the switch live goes into the live terminal, both light neutrals go into the neutral terminal and the light lives and second switch live are together in a terminal not connected to anything. Hope that makes sense.

so, with it wired like this, the new light works and switches on and off at the switch. but the 2nd (untouched) light stays on permanently. My memory of school science makes me think this means they are wired in parallel and that the switch is therefore only affecting on light and when the switch is off I am only taking one light out of the circuit.

Please help me! I hope I've written this so you can understand it!

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:29 am

With three wires and single switch assuming the light you are working on has switch wires then of three cables.
1) Supply
2) Switch
3) Second lamp
So line of supply will go to loop on ceiling rose and connect to one of the switch wires.
The other switch wire will connect to local lamp and line to second lamp.
Two neutrals should connect together plus local lamp.
All earths together.
So only two wires in loop. And three wires in lamp line.
It must be end of line.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:58 pm