ECONOMY 7 OR 10 HOW IT WORKS AND WHAT
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TILTNTURN
Labourer
Labourer

ECONOMY 7 OR 10 HOW IT WORKS AND WHAT

by TILTNTURN » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:28 pm

We are moving to a cottage that at present has economy 7 . Can someone tell me if this costs less for all the household appliances through the night or only for Storage heaters and water tank?

Are they on a separate circuit than the other electrics in the house ?
We had planned to go onto economy 10 to utilise afternoons for washing machines and driers to save money during the 1pm to 4pm economy period. Many thanks in advance . Lesley

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:22 am

The very old system had two meters but I think all modern systems use a single special meter to supply everything in the house. Because peak electricity costs more with economy 7 can’t see any board leaving duel meter system in. There is very little one can plan to run off peak, Washer/dryer, domestic hot water, and central heating. The old brick type radiators were a little useless as near impossible to turn off so retaining the heat for evening but the new wet system with a large cylinder which is well insulated so will store heat until required and also allows solar power to be added to system works well but finding a location to site the very large tank which is heavy can be a problem. And the system is not cheap. I had considered one using gas as it gives instant hot water at mains pressure great for showers but got old boiler running again and at over £2000 for the whole system I considered the money saved would me minimal considering £2000 invested at 5% gives £100 per year it would need to reduce my bill by 80% to pay for it’s self in 20 years. Oh the salesman give nice figures but missed out the money £2000 would generate if invested.
All best Eric

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:35 am

Hi,
Firstly when economy E7 kicks in at night the whole house goes on E7 or should do. The same applies if a new digital meter is installed but no clocks (Teleswitches) etc. A pic would help?
Regards

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:06 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:53 am