Restoring doors
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ritchie
Labourer
Labourer

Restoring doors

by Ritchie » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:08 pm

The internal doors in my Edwardian House are riddled with small holes as the last owner pinned ply to the doors in an effort to be a sixties minimalist! he also put in new door handles so we have holes from these plus holes from the original low door knob and the plates too. I wonder if i can buy a wood filler that will be good enough to really fill in these holes well and will it be strong enough to then drill new holes into it for me to get the original (style) door knobs back onto the door?

DUDE DIY
Ganger
Ganger

by DUDE DIY » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:28 am

restoring any type of woodwork has to be a labour of love as its very time consuming and can be a long process as theres no quick fix. Also the end result / finish is effect by the effort you put in. Lots of filling and sanding priming painting etc then more sanding....are the doors paneled doors? are you staining them or painting afterwards? ....usually a good quality wood filler can be screwed into afterwards. If your painting the doors in a satin or gloss my top tip is thin the paint down and use a good quality brush. Ive also heard of decorators use car body repair kits to fill holes and make good any woodwork....never done it myself but results are meant to great.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:42 am