New stopcock
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
busy
Apprentice
Apprentice

New stopcock

by busy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:05 pm

I'll be replacing the worn stopcock in my house prior to fitting a new kitchen. Can anyone please advise the typical diameter of the water supply pipe this will connect to, I've seen stopcocks to fit 25mm and 28 mm supply pipes. The house is late 60's, will the supply pipe be in imperial size ?

Thanks in anticipation

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:36 pm

You'll know better than us, 22mm compression will fit 3/4" pipe. It's only soldered fittings where you get the problems.

Is it copper ?

htg

busy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by busy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:56 am

Thanks htg engineer......

The problem is the stopcock sits so low to the ground (only about 1" above it) and with the build up of dirt etc over the years, I can't actually see the supply pipe and as usual it's not in easiest of places to get decent access to. I'll probably have to remove a cupboard to get access to it and then I'll be able to find out a bit more.

Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:15 pm

It could be anything from 1/2" iron or copper to several types of plastic. You may find the only way is to remove it and nip to a plumber's merchant with the offending item.

Just don't damage the pipe. It may be brittle!!

busy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by busy » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:23 pm

Thanks Plumbob.....

Was speaking to a neighbour who had a plumber out a year ago to look at their stopcock. Because it is so close to the ground he was reluctant to replace it, in case he didn't have enough to connect to when he removed the stopcock so he simply fitted a new stopcock above the existing one. I may end up doing this in case I run into some real problems (as you suggest....may be brittle) with the supply pipe.

Thanks

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:00 am

it could also be lead pipe in which case you'd need a leadlock. but with so little stem to go onto this would be difficult.

i think you have the right idea - leave well alone and just fit another stopcock above it. if you try to replace it and it leaks (which is quite likely) you are stuffed

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:42 am