wall lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GoNz0
Tradesman
Tradesman

wall lights

by GoNz0 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:55 pm

i cant ask the brother, he jumped on a plane for a holiday so im back for advice :)

ive almost done the downstairs lighting circuit but got reminded that we are having wall lights in the front room, im wondering how to go about wiring them up to meet 17th edition as i was told i cant have any concealed junction box's in the floor space upstairs ?

due to this i am opting for ceiling roses and wonder how to go about adding the wall lights ?

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:52 pm

I would use a deep switch box and use that as a junction box.
All the wiring regulations take some interpretation and what it says is where screw terminals are used there must be access.
It does not say what it considers as access some people consider a bit of screwed down floor board with wiring underneath written on it is access others consider since carpets will cover this it is not access.
As a result what one inspector will pass another will fail so if possible always ask the person inspecting.
Junction boxes with spring connectors are permitted as they have no screws to work lose.
For my wall lights I used conduit boxes behind them as screws in lamps matched conduit boxes leaving loads of room for connections if required also easy to replace with klick type ceiling rose again screw hole spacings match.
Common sense has to be used as well as the regulation book.
Eric

GoNz0
Tradesman
Tradesman

by GoNz0 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:19 pm

thanks m8 :)

GoNz0
Tradesman
Tradesman

by GoNz0 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:25 pm

i cant find them on screwfix, do you have a link please?

(how long till this post moderation stops ??)

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

by TOPSPARK » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:58 pm

just a suggestion you could take a twin and earth down from the centre light out of the ceiling rose down to your light switch and then a twin and earth from the light switch to your wall light and then from the first wall light to your second wall light so on and so forth to however many wall lights you are fitting. At the light switch in the back box you put the neutrals together in a connector block (blue wires)and tape it up with insulation tape and then put the brown wires into the switch and the earth wires into the earth connection on the back box.This is an accepted code of practice and complies with the regulations and limits the cables at the wall lights
regards
Topspark

GoNz0
Tradesman
Tradesman

by GoNz0 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:09 pm

ahh well, its done now. 35mm box in the wall where the wall lights going and 3 cables dangling down :)

having uplighters so it wont be seen :)

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:46 am

Not sure what you are looking for but:-
Junction Box http://www.hagergroup.co.uk/index.php?id=3648
Conduit Box 20521
Klick ceiling rose http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/ra ... ngeid=1029
Eric

GoNz0
Tradesman
Tradesman

by GoNz0 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:55 am