Metal light fitting with 2 earth wires
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
merl
Labourer
Labourer

Metal light fitting with 2 earth wires

by merl » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:23 pm

I have just bought a new metal light fitting. Having taken the old one down there are the usual 3 wires - earth, live and neutral which connect upto the connector block.

However, there is an additional earth wire fitted to the light fitting attachment which is separate to all the other wires.

I have tried for ages to try an slide this into the same earth connector part as the main earth wire but is just won't stay in. Everytime I move it it slides out-there just doesn't seem to be enough room for both earth wires to stay put.

Is is ok to leave this additional earth wire unconnected or do I need to really persevere and try to get it to stick in with the other earth wire int he connector block? If all fails, what should I do with this spare earth wire?

Any advice much appreciated!!!

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Metal light fitting with 2 earth wires

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:17 pm

[quote="merl"]I have just bought a new metal light fitting. Having taken the old one down there are the usual 3 wires - earth, live and neutral which connect upto the connector block.

However, there is an additional earth wire fitted to the light fitting attachment which is separate to all the other wires.

I have tried for ages to try an slide this into the same earth connector part as the main earth wire but is just won't stay in. Everytime I move it it slides out-there just doesn't seem to be enough room for both earth wires to stay put.

Is is ok to leave this additional earth wire unconnected or do I need to really persevere and try to get it to stick in with the other earth wire int he connector block? If all fails, what should I do with this spare earth wire?

Any advice much appreciated!!![/quote]

MERL
VERY VERY IMMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This earth wire is a safety connection required to connect any
excess metalwork to earth to prevent electric shock , in case of
fitting becoming live due to a fault .
MAKE SURE U DO NOT TRAP IT AGAINST FITTING WHEN
CONNECTED INTO THE EARTH TERMINAL!

BLAKEY1963

merl
Labourer
Labourer

by merl » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:13 pm

Thanks - would you recommend I tape the end up or will it be ok left as is as long as it isn't caught between anything? Just want to make sure it is all left as it should before finishing the job.

Thanks in advance

sparkydude
Apprentice
Apprentice

by sparkydude » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:30 pm

Read the reply again Merl, you need to connect it to the earth terminal not just tape the end up. It ius a SAFETY EARTH CONNECTION and MUST be connected to earth. Get a bigger bit of connector block just for the earths if thats the problem.

Nick

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:36 am

[quote="merl"]Thanks - would you recommend I tape the end up or will it be ok left as is as long as it isn't caught between anything? Just want to make sure it is all left as it should before finishing the job.

Thanks in advance[/quote]

MERL

U can tape up the connection , before putting your light back
together.

BLAKEY1963

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:22 am