building a gym in back Garden without planningpermission
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mellorhouse
Apprentice
Apprentice

building a gym in back Garden without planningpermission

by mellorhouse » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:21 pm

My neighbours said that they had planning permission from local council to build a 18ft high , 18 foot wide and 25ft long gym at the bottom of the garden, we told them that the council had not sent us a ltter to us explaining this so we could appeal if need be, they argued with us about this and said thatt we where being racist to him, I got in touch with the council on this and that they had not had permission by them, but our neighbours had said it was the local hindu temple that told them that they could build this, any the council have told us that they should have had permission by the council, the council have given them until 21st October to give in their plans and submit them, bearing in mind when the council went out to tell them this there was no roof on , no double glazing in and the walls where bear, but it has nearly all finished apart from putting in the furniture (bearin in mind they said that they are building a gym), the one part of the building has a shower room in it, what I am trying to get as is should the council not have told them t o stop working on it as no planning permission was given, beasue to me now that they are nearly finished that is more or less telling them that permission will be given, should there not have been a law to force them to stop building it, I have at least 20 people who are writing to the local council in disgust of this building because it is actually an eye sore from my kitchen window, lounge and my sons bedroom, everybody that has come into my house, cannot believe we live there with taht erysore at the bottom of the garden

LCL
Ganger
Ganger

by LCL » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:56 pm

mellorhouse

There are some quirky laws when it comes to permitted development. For instance, in a residential dwelling you can buildng up to 50% of the land surrounding the house without planning consent if it is less that 2.5m high to the eaves, 4m high to the ridge or 3m if it has a flat roof, should be no more than 2.5m high if it is within a couple of meters from the boundary and no part of the buildng is closer to a public highway.

Visit the planning portal, there is good public user advice there on what does and does not require planning consent.

Hope this helps

LCL

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1