Replacing a Rotten Joist
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
KLOVETT
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing a Rotten Joist

by KLOVETT » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:25 pm

I currently have a joist that needs replacing and would like some advice as to whether or not the joist should be replaced from above or below.

I currently live in a flat an do not want to have to trouble my downstairs neighbour in order to replace the floor joist.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Kate

CHIPPY2158
Apprentice
Apprentice

rotten joist!

by CHIPPY2158 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:05 pm

hope this helps! so i take it i either live in a masonette or a house that been converted in to flats?
easyest optoin in to do it from above!
maybe made harder depends on what type of floor u have down! i .e laminate or tiles will be alot more trouble to take up that a bit of carpet n underlay!
once the floor covering is up u can ruffely work out the area of floor boards/sheets you have to take up!
what u gotta remember is what way the joist are running! and a few things to remember is that the plaster board is nailed to the joist from under neath! that beging your neabouirs ceilng but if done correctly that most damage u may inflict is a few poped nail hole in there ceiling witch can be easyly filled n painted over!

your biggest problem will be if u have services running throught the pipes i.e central heating pipes for your radiators or electics suppling there lights down stairs! but u may be lucky and not come across this problem!
hope that helps

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:23 pm