One Pipe Heating Sytem and HE Boilers
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bluegrahame
Labourer
Labourer

One Pipe Heating Sytem and HE Boilers

by bluegrahame » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:47 pm

I have a "one-pipe" heating system and want a new high efficiency combination boiler.

My preferred Installer has said that the system should be converted to a "two-pipe" design.

Why is this? What will happen if I don't convert? can I damage my new boiler? and he's saying cost is about £3800. Does this sound expensive?

The property is a 3 bed, 6 radiator bungalow.

Thanks in anticipation.

Grahame.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:29 pm

The one-pipe system will be fine with a combi boiler, but unlike the boiler they're not very efficient.

Are the radiators and pipework in decent condition ? maybe this is what the installer is referring to.

htg

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:59 am

Hi,

I put a combi on a one pipe system - never again!!

It doesn't heat the house to any satisfactory degree,

I changed it to a two pipe -- perfect - roasting

But £3800 WTF

da pickles
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: One Pipe Heating Sytem and HE Boilers

by da pickles » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:03 pm

[quote="bluegrahame"]I have a "one-pipe" heating system and want a new high efficiency combination boiler.

My preferred Installer has said that the system should be converted to a "two-pipe" design.

Why is this? What will happen if I don't convert? can I damage my new boiler? and he's saying cost is about £3800. Does this sound expensive?

The property is a 3 bed, 6 radiator bungalow.

Thanks in anticipation.

Grahame.[/quote]
if the pipework is in good order and the system is power flushed [ most manufacturers will invalidate the warranty if this is not done . allow £500]then there should be no problem as long as the return is kept below 50c

norwich-plumber
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: One Pipe Heating Sytem and HE Boilers

by norwich-plumber » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:28 pm

[/quote]
if the pipework is in good order and the system is power flushed [ most manufacturers will invalidate the warranty if this is not done . allow £500]then there should be no problem as long as the return is kept below 50c[/quote]

most manufacturers ask for the system to be cleaned not power flushed and the warranty will still be ok

Dan2071
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Dan2071 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:41 pm

How do you powerflush a one pipe system? Doesnt the water just bypass the radiators?

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:28 am