Hot Water too Hot
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Woodypecker
Labourer
Labourer

Hot Water too Hot

by Woodypecker » Sun May 13, 2007 2:25 pm

Please can someone advise. I have an indirect water cylinder. The boiler continues to heat the hot water. I have changes the cylinder thermo-stat (strapped to side of cylinder) and set it to 50c, but boiler continues to pump in hot water. I have felt side of cylinder and it does not seem to get very hot, (possible not hot enough to activate the thermo-stat), although the water from the tap appears to be hotter.
The pump is running ok.
The three way valve is operating to supply hot water to the cylinder heat exchanger.
The cylinder was changed about 2 years ago.

Also the immersion stat does not cut out, and that has been changed and set to 50c.

Do I need to bleed the cylinder (and can pump be bleed).

Or what is causing this problem.

(I know this is quite an odd request but I am a female DIY apprentice to my partner, having just replaced two radiators and cleared an air lock in the pipes to right a cold radiator that had never worked since the boiler was upgraded 2 years ago. I found out how to do this on your site!)

Paul Pepper
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Paul Pepper » Tue May 15, 2007 8:00 pm

Sounds like the three way valve is jamming on. Have you changed the cyl stat for a new one or just turned it down?

Woodypecker
Labourer
Labourer

by Woodypecker » Tue May 15, 2007 10:27 pm

Hi Paul,
Yes changed the cylinder stat. It just that the when you feel the side of the tank it's now where near as hot as the water from the tap! The water from the tap is really hot. The side of the tank does not seem to get hot enough to trigger the cylinder stat. Is there anyway to check if the 3 way valve is sticking? Thanks.
[quote="Paul Pepper"]Sounds like the three way valve is jamming on. Have you changed the cyl stat for a new one or just turned it down?[/quote][color=red][/color]

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

Hot water too hot

by DONFRAMAC » Sat May 19, 2007 4:39 am

Your first posting suggests that you "may" be using the immersion element in conjunction with the indirect loop from the boiler. If so, switch off the element.
Have you actually replaced 2 thermostats? The immerser one lurks under the drum-shaped cap on top of the unit, cheek-by-jowl with the power lead terminals. ( p.s. some years ago, I accidentally shorted a fancy thermostat by fouling it with a power lead )

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1