Electric meter cabinet
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
aria
Labourer
Labourer

Electric meter cabinet

by aria » Sat May 19, 2007 1:01 pm

Hi

Possibly another silly question. But what are electrical meter cabinets made from?

The one I have is the type outside the house on the wall, recessed into the wall.

Trouble is, this is looking quite old & tatty, with a number of chips to it. I was considering getting it changed, but a friend said it could be asbestos (sigh, I hear you all say :-) ), so possibly best left where it is.

Gut feel is that it is actually fibre-glass or similar.

Any ideas what these are usually made off. The house was built approx. 1972/3, so this has probably been there since then.

Thanks

Aria

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat May 19, 2007 9:23 pm

Glass Reinforced Plastic, (GRP), but how would you get it changed?
If it has the meter & cutout fuse in it then IT'S NOT YOUR PROPERTY!
It belongs to area electricity board, & only they can change it at great expense, the boxes cost from £35.00 plus VAT if it only has your switch fuse in, (unlikely) & only available from builders merchant (name starts with J) but can't say as advertising....regards SPARX

aria
Labourer
Labourer

by aria » Sun May 20, 2007 3:38 pm

Thanks Sparx

I confess I hadn't even thought about [u]how[/u] I was going to change it. You are right, it only has the meter & cutout fuse in it, so can't go playing with that myself!

I think it is going to have to be a fresh coat of paint & make the best of it.

Thanks again

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:48 am