BCO requires sign off of electric work
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bradford_angler
Labourer
Labourer

BCO requires sign off of electric work

by bradford_angler » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:58 pm

We have made a small alteration to our loft, prior to this it had one electrical socket and one light fitting (both very temp)
I have broken into an existing ring main, and taken 3 extra sockets into the room, and also installed a 1G 1W light switch and a 2g 2W switch circuit.
Looking at Part P on the web, it doesn't look like the sort of action I would need to chase an EIC, but this BCO has been sound throughout the whole project, and saved me both time and money with his help and advice, so I'm going to get the cert without question.
I have done the work myself, but what would I be looking at now at to get this certified .. anyone any ideas ?
Is it brew, talk to a spark, pull off a few face plates, explain what I have done - or is it much deeper ? even on such a small job
Also - are there any checks I can do pre EIC testing to make sure that I only need one visit from the tester to get my cert.

Finally - is there anywhere on line I can find a copy of the 17th edition to check against, or has anyone had any luck asking a library to get hold of a copy ?

shipyardspark
Apprentice
Apprentice

by shipyardspark » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:49 pm

Have just finished extensions for my house. As an apprenticed electrician (qualified 1969!!) I did the electrics my self having info'd the LBCO first that I was going to do so. He checked the first fit etc and was happy for me to continue. When all was complete, I completed the BS7671 (as per the IET Website - qualified person - not Part P registered) - drew up a complete set of docs (as per the IET web site) and called the LBCO. He came out had a look. He was happy with the installation and the documentation and stated that he would issue the Completion Certificate forthwith. So I am a happy little bunny.

I guess the problem arises if you try and fill out the BS7671 and can't prove you are a qualified competent electrical engineer, haven't got all of the docs together then the LBCO would probably be within his rights to call for an independent test. However, you would only have to pay if you have done work outside of a Building Regs/Notice scenario (where you would have already paid a fee for Building Control Services).

My experience has shown me that if you are honest and open with the LBCO and that you can back up any claims of competency, they will support and help you.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:02 pm

The only thing you can do is make sure it complies to part p of building regulations. which will mean it also complies to BS7671. If as you say building controls have visited and are happy with the work so far, if they are aware you are unable to certify this work as you are unable to prove it is electrical sound and safe. Some one will have to inspect and Test these circuits, not just the addition/alterations but right back to the CU,
To make sure it is safe. They normally get a third party involved to do this who should inspect and test all circuits which the work was carried out on. Ideally you should have had a periodic done proir to work to make sure it was okay to start with.
I don't think there is a lot of free advise on the web regarding inspection and testing and you won't get a free download of BS7671 anywhere.
KB

shipyardspark
Apprentice
Apprentice

by shipyardspark » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:49 pm

Hmm!!!! kbrownie, not sure about what you are saying about the Part P. I was always under the impression that all electrical installations should comply with the IEE regulations, BS7671, 16, 17 Editions etc. Part P under Building Regs is a means of ensuring that any installation is compliant, not the other way round.

As for blank BS7671 forms, these are available on the IET website. They even have a PDF version which you can fill in from the keyboard, altho' I haven't found a way to save the file with data yet. Every time I open it up I have to refill. Not a prob as I have only had to fill it the once!!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:13 am

Again it's how things are Intemperated, because the law is an ass?
I may have confused you by the way I have formatted my answer.
The law=Part P Document of Building Regulations
Not the law=BS7671:2008 or (2001) and anything proceeding that, it's a guide?
Even though Part P is a legal document they insist that electrical work should comply and be carried out to BS7671:2008 (the guide)
Therefore if it's compliant to Part P it's compliant to BS7671 and visa versa.
That's not too complicated is it!
KB

mesh00
Labourer
Labourer

by mesh00 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:32 am

Yes I am agreed with you "kbrownie".
My BCO is asking for sign off of some electrical work I have carried out myself.
I have added 5 new sockets by breaking into a ring main (Blck and red) and also moved one light and added one new light to an existing radial circuit.
No sockets are in bathroom or kitchen.

Last edited by mesh00 on Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:55 am

The rules have changed since this post was started. From this year LABC can pass on costs of using third party contractors so if you don't test they can charge you for testing although I note the down loadable document has not been up-dated.

The problem is that only the person in control of the work can sign the installation certificate so once completed no good asking anyone else to make out the installation certificate.

However the certificate can have three signatures one for design, one for installation and last for inspection and testing and this is an option. However for work requiring a completion certificate as far as I am aware electricians can't use their scheme membership to clear these types of installation certificates and they need LABC involvement.

To complete the whole job DIY has two problems. The first is cost of test equipment although one can hire the weekly hire rate is still quite high.
The second is ability to use the test equipment and the safety of others is a valid point where during the test other people can be injured.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 12:23 am