neighbours exterior wall
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tiga
Labourer
Labourer

neighbours exterior wall

by Tiga » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:14 pm

My neighbour has a rear extension such that to the rear of my house I have his external wall to one side, If I was to build a rear extension to mirror his would I be able to attach it to his exterior wall as his wall comes right up to the boundary of the two properties?

Does he have the right to tell me I can't lean anything againts his external wall? like logs bike etc?

Thanks for your help.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:05 pm

Tiga,
I believe that you could either build directly against your neighbour's wall or you will be forced to leave a large gap. Either way under the party wall acts your neighbour will have the right to force you to employ a surveyor to certify that any foundations you form will not undermine his foundations.
end

AJH162
Labourer
Labourer

by AJH162 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:51 pm

Check first whether his foundations are on the boundary line. sometimes people assume that the new wall itself can be built on the boundary which means of course that the foundations will be in the neighbouring property!

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:35 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1