Bathroom wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mchphoto
Labourer
Labourer

Bathroom wiring

by mchphoto » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:02 pm

HI
i am looking to rewire a bathroom, I understand the new 17th edition regs as regards the bath/shower wet area etc zone1/2. however I need a socket next to the sink for a hairdryer etc - it will have a suitable circuit breaker for it,

the question is how far from the sink and in what direction should I place the socket I would presume 600mm from the water source, but did not really want to put a socket up at eye level unless thats what is required.
are there any guide lines I can look up for suitable postioning of this socket outlet

thanks
michael

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:41 pm

rule of thumb no sockets allowed in bathrooms discounting selv shaver sockets these can be installed in zone 2 and beyond. No standard sockets are to be installed in a bathroom unless 3 meters away from the outer limits of zone 1 and must be protected by a 30ma RCD.
KB

mchphoto
Labourer
Labourer

by mchphoto » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:09 pm

thanks for this, all my research was pointing to this
regards
michael

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Hi Michael,
this regulation does not really stress a great deal about sockets near basin, especialy if it was not in a bathroom or say 3.600M from bath. But an electrician would have to take enviromental condition in to account. I hope I don't have to tell you of the dangers of having a hair dryer near a potentailly dangerous area such as a water basin.
I often wonder why the regulation as far as kitchens are concerned are not quite a ridgid. I assume it's because in bath/shower room the body is normally more conductive if you have just bathed or showered.
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 10:33 am