Painting a previously damp wall
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Clairevf
Labourer
Labourer

Painting a previously damp wall

by Clairevf » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:22 pm

Hi, our attic room suffered a bout of damp, however we have since had a new roof fitted and pointing done and this has solved the problem and the wall is dry. However one of the interior walls which is plastered has marks/blisters from when it was damp. A plasterer told me the wall didn't need replastering but instead, to sand down these blisters and then paint over it, which I have done. However, now the paint (emulsion) is dry it seems 'shiny' over where the damp patches used to be, the rest of that wall is ok. From looking at the forum some sugestions are to use a stain block and then re-paint so the wall is totally matt - but would this solve my problem and help cover these patches? Thanks!!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Clairevf,
Try applying a coat of oil-based undercoat to the shiny patches (paint larger area than the patches). Then repaint with your original emulsion.
end

Clairevf
Labourer
Labourer

by Clairevf » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:24 am

Hi, thanks for your advice I have done this and the wall looks great! Thanks so much, I am v happy with the result.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:16 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 11:54 am