wiring in a double socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
r.j.benson
Labourer
Labourer

wiring in a double socket

by r.j.benson » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:27 pm

:?: I am renovating the sitting room and want to move a wire to put it under the floor. The problem is that when I opened up the double socket the results I get with a circuit checker are not what I expected and wonder if I have a problem. I think it is a ring main, there are two red wires to the positive,two black wires to the negative, and I think one (it could be two wires to earth. All as expected. But when I check the current I find I have 240V between pos and neg ( normal) BUT 240V between positive(red wires) and earth. Is there a problem? Everything seems to work OK. I know how to add a spur which I need but am worried about the earth aparently being alive.

RFLighting
Apprentice
Apprentice

by RFLighting » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:09 pm

No, that is perfectly normal.

If you do not know such basic principals, I really think you have alot of reading to do before you attempt any more DIY electrical work.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Readings fine, but don't take for granted it's a ring final circuit. What you have described could be a radial or a socket that has come from a spur and been spured from.
more investigation needed than I think it is.
I must add that any addtion to a circuit can be done diy but still needs a minor works certificate.
I'd personally test the circuit prior to addtions to confirm it is electrically sound and complies to BS7671 before I carry any further work out.
KB

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:30 am