immersion heater not enough hot water
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
scutmore
Labourer
Labourer

immersion heater not enough hot water

by scutmore » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:54 am

[/b]Hi, there is not enough hot water from my immersion heater. if i leave the immersion on all night and have a bath or shower in the morning it runs cold after about 3 or 4 minutes. the size of the cylinder is 4ft deep by 1.5ft wide. i refitted a new element about ayear ago. the size of the element is approx 2 ft. do you think that the elemet is not sufficient? on the side of the tank it says that the maximum element size should be 200mm less?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:45 pm

You don't say what type of cylinder it is, but a standard immersion element is 700mm (27") long. The shorter type that you seem to have are only used to give a small "emergency" supply of hot water.

Obviously you have checked the temperature setting to ensure the water is at 65 degrees?

mattpark
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mattpark » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:04 pm

You have not said whether you have gas heated hot water as well as the immersion, if so what type of system is it ?
If you do have gas I would strongly recommend using it and only use your immersion for 'breakdowns' - as its far cheaper than putting the immersion on overnight.
If you fitted a new element, was it like for like ? and - did it provide sufficient hot water for your system before you changed it ?

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:43 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:25 pm