problem adding new light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alci4
Labourer
Labourer

problem adding new light

by alci4 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:21 pm

hi all

i am adding a new light in a walk in wardrobe and have taken the wires from the celing rose in the bedroom

problem is when i have the wardrobe wires connected, the wardrobe light works but the bedroom does not

when i disconnect the wardrobe celing rose wire from the bedroom celing rose the bedroom light works

wondering if anyone can offer any advice

thanks for your time

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:43 am

Sounds like you have mixed your cables up, you need to be taking the incoming live (RED/BROWN) from the middle terminations of the ceiling rose should be reds/or browns terminated here already and then returning the neutral from the wardrobe light to returning neutral on the bedroom light (BLACK/BLUE) this should be at the side where your neutrals a terminated to the blue flex on light fitting again should be blacks and blues already there. Connect all earths to earths, I connect earths first.
I assume the switch is already attached to the wardrobe light.
Again additons to circuit in bedrooms don't need notification to building controls but do need a minor works certificate.
KB

alci4
Labourer
Labourer

by alci4 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:28 am

hi thanks for your reply

below is a small image numbering the terminations and below the wires connected to the corisponding numbers and the wires destinations in brackets i think i had done it as you said but i am still having no joy

-------------------------
! 1 2 3 4 5 6 !
! 0 0 0 0 0 0 !
-------------------------

1/ one brown wire (to lamp)
2/ one black wire (into celing)
3/ one red wire (into celing) and one brown wire (to wardrobe light)
4/ two red wires (into Celing)
5/ two black wires into celing) and one Blue wire (to wardrobe light)
6/ one blue wire (to lamp)

All earths are connected

Have tries taking the live brown to the wardrobe from term 3 and 4 with same result (wardrobe light works but bedroom doesn't)

thanks for any iseas and hope the little illustration helps

SparkyPaul
Apprentice
Apprentice

by SparkyPaul » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:39 am

what do you mean by not work?
does the fuse pop / mcb trip when you turn the wardrobe light off?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi are the 1/brown and 6/blue the flex to your lampholder/fitting on bedroom ceiling?
I'm assuming 2 and one of the 5s are the switch wires.
So looking at your configuration.
1 and 2 connected together, this will link live via bedroom switch
3 and 4 should be connected together, this offer live feeds via looped in light to switch and wardrobe light
5 and 6 connected together, this will return neutrals.
What your doing by having connection 3 as it is, is by-passing the live feed to bedroom light
Is there any other lights that don,t work on this circuit and what type of connection block is at bedroom light?
I hope you can appreciate that working remote is much a matter of making assumption,
KB

ele
Labourer
Labourer

light

by ele » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:53 am

Hi, i read your question, and have just joined the site, have you solved your problem yet, regarding light in wardrobe, if not then i will see if i can help,

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:53 pm