Minumum stair widths
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lez
Labourer
Labourer

Minumum stair widths

by lez » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:22 pm

I'm planning a loft conversion but must have stairs no wider than 55cm ito the loft space. This is because of constraints that can't be overcome. The building regs guys at my council say that they must be at least 80cm wide to comply with BS 585 Part 1.

I've looked at part K of the regs and it says (and i quote) "no recommendations for minumum stair widths are given".

Is the guy right to quote BS 585 as part of his building regs approval decision? Could he not approve because of the stair width??

Any advice would be appreciated.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:56 pm

The requirement will be to do with means of escape in event of a fire.

If your local BCO says its got to be 80cm then thats what it's got to be!

Theres no point in trying to be dogmatic (it says here...... etc) and argue with them because that will only make them dig their heels in. It may be worth having a sensible discussion with them to point out that there are difficulties due to X Y Z constraints. You should be able to reach some sort of accommodation with them but be 'umble and ask for their help and advice. That's psycologically the best way.

Best of luck.

Cheers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1