plumbing a static caravan
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Newbee
Tradesman
Tradesman

plumbing a static caravan

by Newbee » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi there, I own a static caravan that used to be sited in a park with full services, where I am just know will have full services in April. I'm thinking of doing the work myself but I need a little advice, I understand I'll need 100mm drainage pipe to services connection, I will need to connect the waste pipes from the shower, bathromm & kitchen sink. I've spotted a flexi fitting for the toilet which will let me exit the bathroom floor but I need an idea of what sort of fitting I'll need to link up the waste water and toilet pipes and what the minimum/run angle the soil pipe will need from the toilet to the service connection, I'm in Scotland if that helps.

Thanks in advance

Newbee
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Newbee » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:56 pm

Hi there again, would plastic pipe and push fit fittings be suitable for mains water, I have a length of 22mm I think, would probably need a reducer to go down to 15mm for the feed in to the van. Going up to the site this week end to have a good look at what I need and any opions would be appreciated.

Cheers

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:17 pm

Really there are too many questions here to offer exact answers perhaps that is why you have not had any replies.

My first suggestion would be to examine other caravans on the site and see how they are plumbed. In principle, the installation is easy and can be done with minimal tools and common sense (except you need a 57mm hole cutter and solvent weld to connect the shower, sink and basin wast to the soil pipe). All the materials are readily available.

You should already have a stopcock under the van connected to the MDPE (blue) pipe. For mains water, use Polyplumb 15mm pushfit (less likely to be tampered with than Speedfit??) as plastic is better at resisting frost. For the soil pipe, all the fittings are pushfit so should be easy.

Best of luck.

Newbee
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Newbee » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:11 pm

hi there, thanks for the reply, sorry for the lack of anything visual but I'm hoping to get some shots of my van this weekend and once I figured out how to upload to this site I'll post the results.

thanks again

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:39 pm

You can't post pics directly to this site. The only way to get us to see images is to use a third party site such as Flikr or Photofox and include the jpg link in a post on this site

Newbee
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Newbee » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Yeah, I found that out when I tried it, but there was mention of an upgrade
in the future to be able to do this.

Newbee
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Newbee » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi plumbob, thanks for the replies, i was up at the site at the weekend and the soil connection is at the front of the van so I'll have to travel diagonally part of the way under the van to connect, a bit disapointed at that. I have seen some work the local plumber has done and it has given me a better idea what to do. he's fitted a stop cock to the main blue pipe just above the ground and fitted a drain just above that.
he's using 100mm grey pipe he says cost £25 plus vat for 3m and i've seen it for £22.90 for 6m @ Screwfix. he gave me arough price of £200 - £300 plus vat and I must be at the latter end of that pricing.
The joint sections where the 32 & 40 mm waste pipes join, can you get push fittings for this? or do you have to drill.
I'll have to follow the line of the van with the soil then angle in for a distance but if i travel direct to the connection there wil be a lot of pipe visable as it exits the underside so i was thinking of going at an angle that takes it away from the connection line then fitting another angle to bring it more at a right angle to the soil connection, I know this may a bit to much to advise but is there a common angle joint that can be used for this.

Again thanks for the advice so far
U can see pics of my van on Diyultimate or it it ulyimatediy anyway it was easier for me to post pics there.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:48 pm

The trick bit without proper kit is connecting the 32mm and 40mm straps on to the soil pipe. normally, I cut a 57mm dia hole in the pipe and the strap fits neatly over it into the hole. It is then stuck to the pipe using solvent weld adhesive.

You can get a

http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... -Pipe-Grey

but you still need to cut the hole (suggest one of these multi size hole cutters from a tool shop as they are quite cheap). You'll probably end up filing the hole to size, but to buy the purpose 57mm is a bit expensive just for two holes.

Once the strap is on or if you are using the boss shown above, push in a boss rubber

http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... -Pack-of-5

then the pipe just pushes in to this. Simple.

Looked at the photos, but they don't really show much. Just make sure there is a steady fall on all the waste pipes and they are all regularly supported. Other than that, it doesn't really matter how you run them, but it is better to keep the runs as short as poss, especially the smaller dia pipes.

Newbee
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Newbee » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi thanks for the reply, now I've probably not grasped your advice properly but you mentioned using a rubber boss inserted into the boss pipe joint but do you have to fit this to the strap as well?
I'm planning to use two 45 degree joints to bring the run round @ 90 degrees, to finish the run at the connection, depending on being able to manouvre through the van chasis, does this sound ok?

Thanks for the advice.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:46 pm

The strap is glued to the 110mm pipe covering the hole you cut. The strap has where the sink or basin waste pipe is joined to it, a 2" bore so a black rubber boss, the second link I posted, pushes in and reduces the bore down to either 32mm or 40mm.

Two 45 degree elbows is probably fine. Just make sure of the fall.

Newbee
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Newbee » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:24 pm

Thanks plumbob for the reply, Screwfix don't do a stop cock to fit to the blue pipe and fit to a 15mm plastic pipe (speedfit I think) since I've to fit a drain immediatly after the stop cock can I get a stop cock that will take a drain and then fit to the 15mm plastic pipe, I hoping to fit a 3m length with an elbow to the van so to avoid having to cut the plastic.

Thanks in advance

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:28 am