Floor Removal
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tommydoc
Labourer
Labourer

Floor Removal

by Tommydoc » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:08 pm

I have recently moved into a house that was built in the 1880, the lounge flooring is typical dwaf wall and joist construction.

The kitchen is not, it is brick floor, laid on soil with a sand screed (25mm) (is that typical of that period) of which was covered in floor tiles backed with bitchemen. I would like to remove this as it is not damp and not level with the lounge floor construction.

I have dug down one side and found that there a dwaf wall does not exist. Is it possible to build new dwaf walls and lay joist of would it be better to lay new concrete down and batern out for floor boards???

Please help

thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:41 pm

Tommydoc,
In view of the age of your house I would suggest you put in a suspended floor - dig out, lay sub floor, build sleeper walls etc. Don't forget air bricks.
end

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:41 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 2:20 pm