multifuel stove register plate
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andychrystal
Labourer
Labourer

multifuel stove register plate

by andychrystal » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:17 pm

I have recently had a woodburning stove installed by what I assumed to be a professional company and I am beginning to think that the register plate has not been fitted correctly.

I am looking for any info on how the plate should be installed and sealed as we are getting what I can only describe as an unpleasant odour after it has been on for a few hours, it has also set of the smoke detectors twice. I got the company back out today as I noticed a gap between the lintel and the plate. The fitter screwed the plate back up into the lintel and sealed it with a fire rated sealant but the smell is still as strong this evening. I initially thought it was just the smell from a new stove as it seasoned but I think it should be over that stage by now.

Any advice would be greatly recieved.
Thanks
andy

steve bain
Tradesman
Tradesman

by steve bain » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:17 pm

not too sure if this is any help but i made my register plate via my mates advice who is a stove fitter. i welded a rectangular frame using 1 inch L angle steel (actually an old oad sign) i then welded nuts onto the steel angle which allows me to put bolts through it. the register plate goes up inside the chimney about 100mm. bolts are then tightened up into the nuts and against the wall which clamps the register plate in place. obiously i welded a flat plate onto it with the 6 inch hole in it. this is then sealed in using fire cement.

probably no help! but if fitted correctly it should be very solid. there should be o gaps. i think stove related stuff tends to burn off before going solid a bit like exhaust putty. but i am guessing now so i'll shush up. it should not be setting off alarms though!!

good luck

steve bain
Tradesman
Tradesman

by steve bain » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:20 pm

andychrystal
Labourer
Labourer

by andychrystal » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:07 pm

Thanks Steve the info given was pretty helpful

How you have described it is pretty much how i had imagined it should be fitted, mine is fitted not up into the chimney but screwed up to the lintel it also looks like it is resting on the supalux boarding round the sides and rear.

Inside it feels like it has cement round the flue pipe itself but not round the edges to the wall and lintel. The flue pipe also does not connect directly into the chimney and I have been assured this is quite normal as the flue pipe should terminate shortly above the register plate. I am still quite sure it has not been fitted correctly so I am still trying to find out how it should be done right.

I spoke to the building control officer from my local council and he was unable to give me any advice on how the plate should be correctly installed and sealed.

cheetaz
Labourer
Labourer

by cheetaz » Mon May 04, 2009 9:44 am

I have this same problem, we fitted plate our selves, it is sealed & my cousin who a plumber, checked it and say we done a good job but when we first lit last night there was a nasty plastic burning smell and we had to open all windows and doors it was that bad.

Sealant we used should be OK for pupose unless the place where we got it from lied to us hehe
Possibly the paint on the plate? We assured it safe for purpose, fireproof to 200 degrees
Possibly the wood we used - a pallet

can anyone solve this?
sounds like it been fitted the same as initial post, our info came from a chimney sweep and the people we got metalwork off also seemed to know this how to fit

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon May 04, 2009 2:58 pm

cheetaz,
The smell may be from the paint used on the stove itself especially if it is one of those made in China. If this is the case you may find that the stove will have to be used many times before the smell reduces to an acceptable level.
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Mon May 04, 2009 4:16 pm

"I have recently had a woodburning stove installed by what I assumed to be a professional company and I am beginning to think that the register plate has not been fitted correctly."

If you are not satisfied it would seem eminently sensible to get the professional company back in to look at it!! If they are a professional outfit there'll be no problem in that respect.

Cheers

cheetaz
Labourer
Labourer

by cheetaz » Mon May 04, 2009 10:48 pm

Thanks, we have come to that conclusion, smell was much less tonight, meaning it was either some chemical off the pallet wood we burnt or it was the paint/sealant

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:15 pm