Switchfuse
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Escos
Apprentice
Apprentice

Switchfuse

by Escos » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:14 pm

Hello

I have been looking at installing a new feed to my garage using 16mm swa. The main feed out of the electric meter doesn't have an isolator switch before it goes into the consumer. Do i need to buy a dedicated switchfuse, or can i buy a small din enclosure with a 100a isolator fitted.?

Im not doing the work myself.

The plan is to install the isolator after the meter, then to split the meter tails with henley blocks. One set of tails into the exsisting cu and the second set to the new garage cu via the swa.

Any help would be gratefull.

Thanks

Dale.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:59 am

wow! 16mmSWA what you doing?
Call your DNO see if they are willing to install an isolator for you, the supply will need to be isolated so they need informing anyway as you can't touch the main fuse as it does not belong to you.
Your electrcian can take it from there.
KB

Escos
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Escos » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:29 pm

Hello KB

Yes i spoke to an electrician. I mentioned about getting the electricity supplier out to remove the fuse and install an isolator. He said don't bother, he would do it himself as he has some seals to reseal the main fuse. He even mentioned working live when fitting the isolator. :shock: .

I hear that the DNO are'nt too keen on fitting isolators as it opens the door for anyone to have a dabble with electrics.?

Thanks.

Dale.

Escos
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Escos » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:33 pm

P.S

As for choosing 16mm swa, it's to power a mig welder and compressor etc. Though not at the same time. I would rather spend extra and get it done right first time knowing that it will be able to cope with the ppower demand.

Do you think this is overkill then.?

Dale.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:38 pm

[quote="Escos"]P.S

As for choosing 16mm swa, it's to power a mig welder and compressor etc. Though not at the same time. I would rather spend extra and get it done right first time knowing that it will be able to cope with the ppower demand.

Do you think this is overkill then.?

Dale.[/quote]

No wise move, last thing you want is to go to trouble of intalling cable then findind out it's not suitable for purpose, the size of your cable will depend on the amount of current you need to supply the garage remember you'll have welder,comp, sockets and lighting.

Removing the seals is, dare I say it? commonly done by electricians, some are allowed to do this and some are not. DNO not fitting isolator switch don't surprise me, again some will some won't some charge some don't.
It's a little annoying for me that they don't, as the requiremnets(BS7671) state that all electrical equipment should have a means of isolation, now then I admit that the main fuse can be removed and isolate the supply to the CU but it's not an isolator and how are persons like you (no disrespect) know in case of emergency, how to remove the fuse?
That's my opinion I may get dressed down for it but heyho!

Escos
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Escos » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:32 pm

Thanks KB for the advice.
I wouldnt have thought that using the main supply fuse as an isolator would be a good idea. Removing the fuse to expose a live socket.?

Thanks again.

Dale.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:12 pm