Putting in a proper staicase to my converted loft!
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tiffy
Labourer
Labourer

Putting in a proper staicase to my converted loft!

by tiffy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:39 pm

Hi all,

I have recently moved into a house which had the loft converted back in 86, when buying the house my solicitor told me there was no building regs for the loft conversion so it cannot be classed as another room, which i accepted as i was only going to use it as storage.

The access to the loft is by a drop down ladder, i now would like to remove this and install a proper staircase to the loft but still only use it as storage. Where do i stand for building regs now as i belive they may see this as a habital room? Would i need to change the loft to meet the current regs? Or can i just install the staircase without any further approval?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:04 pm

Converted how?
Windows, flooring, boarded??
A fitted loft ladder does not need BC, but some works in the loft do.
Talk to your local BC, tell them what you are intending. They may even do a site visit to advise you

tiffy
Labourer
Labourer

by tiffy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:05 am

The loft has been fully boarded and plastered, with a large velux window in the roof, it was used as a hobby room by the former owners. but it only has a wooden drop down ladder which i would like to change to a full wooden staircase as i said in the previous post. Thanks for your reply, i will give my local council a call.

holboob
Apprentice
Apprentice

by holboob » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:42 pm

likely not to have building regs before so would need building regs approval to ensure that the new staircase meets Building Regs standards and head heights above stairs remain 2m among other regulations.

tonytrying
Labourer
Labourer

by tonytrying » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:40 pm

hiya

did u build yr stairs, cus i did much the same my loft was boarded and i put stairs but not told anyone,, did u contact building regs wat did they say

regards

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1