removing external render
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
georgea367
Labourer
Labourer

removing external render

Post by georgea367 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:38 am

I Recently moved in to a house dating from circa 1900 which has some ugly render on the rear (south facing) ground wall. It is not present on other walls at ground floor (but there is pebble dash on upper areas to the front).

Ideally I would like to remove this leaving the more attractive brickwork on show.

Does anyone know if removing this will be detrimental to the brickwork underneath? i.e. is the render there to protect it?

Thanks!

ashymoko
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: removing external render

Post by ashymoko » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:55 pm

You may find that if its been rendered :
a: the removal of the render may prove hard to and will almost definatly deface some of the bricks.
b: the bricks beneath the render will be layed in the fashion of that the builder was aware that it was being rendered and it probably wont be the best of quality.
c: its been rendered for a reason and although ugly may be a requirement for the building.

If you cant live with it then check a section to see how easy it will come off. If it comes off easy then hack it off, if the brickwork is sound behind then clean it up, repoint where necessary and seal with brick seal to protect. if if comes off easy and the brickwork is rubbish or defected then re render in a render of your choice. Happy days!

Ash

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:40 pm