extending inlet hose for american fridge freezer
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nrqazi
Labourer
Labourer

extending inlet hose for american fridge freezer

by nrqazi » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi
I have a whirlpool american fridge freezer. The inlet water hose taht came attached with it is too short to reach the water line.

I was about to buy extendable hose from ebay (item# 380110393213); however, i can see a similar roll attached at the back of my vegetable compartment, fixed to body.
can someone tell me is it the same hose that i can extend or is that hose for someother purpose.
if it is the same hose, how can i take it off without damaging my fridge and more importantly, how can i use it to extend my existing hose e.g. attach adapters for plumbing it in and attaching it at other end to fridge.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:04 pm

does you fridge have a instruction manual, flipped through it an see what it recommends, why can't you bring the supply feed closer?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:14 am

I have absolutely no idea what you have attached to your vegetable compartment. What, where?

Personally, I think you are going the wrong way about this. Rather than extending the fridge (which is complicated) to the water supply, why not bring the supply so the pipe reaches?

Measure how much further you need to go then armed with that info, nip to your local plumber's merchant and explain the problem. You may end up with buying a long washing machine hose and a coupling that will have the fridge linked up in 10 mins!

nrqazi
Labourer
Labourer

Re: extending inlet hose for american fridge freezer

by nrqazi » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:41 pm

[quote="nrqazi"]Hi
I have a whirlpool american fridge freezer. The inlet water hose taht came attached with it is too short to reach the water line.

I was about to buy extendable hose from ebay (item# 380110393213); however, i can see a similar roll attached at the back of my vegetable compartment, fixed to body.
can someone tell me is it the same hose that i can extend or is that hose for someother purpose.
if it is the same hose, how can i take it off without damaging my fridge and more importantly, how can i use it to extend my existing hose e.g. attach adapters for plumbing it in and attaching it at other end to fridge.[/quote]

Thanks Plumbbob & kbrownie

Well if I try to bring the fridge closer to the line, the fridge would be right in the centre of the kitchen since the line is under the basin... :lol:

& u know what will the Mrs say if I offered that as a solution :evil:

now coming to plumbbob not being able to understand me; here I go again.

The line coming out of the fridge has the connector attached to it and I could just screw it on top of outlet under by sink.

But since its too short.

I started searching for similar 1/4 " transparent white pipe on ebay.

As stated earlier I did find a lot of such pipes on ebay in varying lengths of 5M to 10 M and someone was even selling it by the metre rate so i could get exactly the length I needed.

However I noticed that a similar pipe roll is attached to the body inside the body of my fridge behind the vegetable compartment, tied together with a cable tier.

Now my question is is that hose roll attached inside the fridge left by manufacturer for my convenience to use as desired or is that pipe roll for some other purpose and I am just confusing it to be the same as extra/ spare hose for my use.

If its the later case, then if someone can guide me as to how to take it off easily since the cable tier that is tied to it is affixed to the fridge body and the other end of pipe is going inside the wall

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:31 am

The pipe at the back of your vegetable compartment could be part of the cooling mechanism and the pipe is not simply spare. Is it connected to anything? Is it mentioned in the handbook??? My only thought might be is the inlet hose may be longer than you think with some of it coiled up with a cable tie behind the vegetable compartment??????

You may very well be able to buy extra pipe off ebay, but don't go there! It will be difficult to connect it to the fridge as this type of pipe uses manufacturers fittings on either end, something that cannot be easily done by the DIY person.

Nobody mentioned moving the fridge! Kbrownie and myself suggested bringing the water supply closer to the fridge. This could be done quite cheaply using traditional materials.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:29 am

Don't take the fridge to the feed take the feed to the fridge, tee off from your existing supply at the basin and run a pipe to the back of the fridge where it is, using an isolation valve for connection .
It is no different to trying your way but your doing it back to front!
KB

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 12:19 pm