Varnishing old doors
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Windymiller
Labourer
Labourer

Varnishing old doors

by Windymiller » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:42 am

Hi guys,
I have recently moved into an old victorian house. The interior doors are pine and have been varnished to a rich glossy finish. However two of the doors are bare pine and have some cracks in the wood and some beading missing.
Can you please give me some advise on filling the cracks and preparing and varnishing these doors to match the others.
Your advise will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi, firstly you should be able to buy some beading to match the other doors either exactly or quite close to the original. As for filling the cracks you can buy a wood filler to match the colour of the wood. B&Q and most other DIY stores sell them. If you can't get exact match you can get 2 different ones and mix them. When this has dried just sand the doors down, clean them if needed then paint with good quality varnish. I always use an oil based varnish as I think you get a better finish with it. Before painting try using a tack cloth on the doors as they pick up all the very small hard to see bits from the wood and will give you a better finish. Good luck.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:36 pm