Earth wire in bathroom not connected to anything.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
maxwell
Labourer
Labourer

Earth wire in bathroom not connected to anything.

by maxwell » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:38 am

I have just gutted the bathroom of my house which was built in 1993.Lying under the soil pipe was a one metre length of earth cable in sleeving disappearing under the skirting.I am confused as to whether this was meant to be connected to the bathroom plumbing and was never connected because this was not required in 1993 or was an oversight.
Do you think i could use it to bond the new bathroom suite?
I know i should have it checked by an electrician but looking on lots of forums there seems to be lots of conflicting information as regards bonding/cross bonding in bathrooms.
Any help advice appreciated.
Max.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:19 pm

The rules as to bonding have changed June 2008 so there is likely some confusion which is not helped as Plumbing books have not caught up.

But for the new regulations to become active ALL the bathroom must be wired to BS7671:2008 i.e. everything including lights on a RCD.

It gets so complex that really it should be left to the registered electrician to sort out. Main thing is expensive meters are required to test earthing so not really a DIY job.

On a personal note I feel all metal in a bathroom should be connected together although not necessary connected back to main incoming earth but because it would include any electrical items in real terms it would be connected to incoming earth.

My main worry is metal soil pipes as these can be also often touched outside as well.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:20 pm