New downstairs toilet into kitchen with macerator
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gadgetman Andy
Apprentice
Apprentice

New downstairs toilet into kitchen with macerator

by Gadgetman Andy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi all,

We have a fairly large kitchen, and I am thinking about building a small downstairs toilet behind a stud wall in one corner.

I gan get water and power to the room, but the only real access for the waste is going up into the loft with a macerator and tapping into the upstairs bathroom soil pipe.

Saniflow do a model called Saniflowbest which pumps upto 6 metres high, I only need 5 metres so it will be fine I hope?

My only predicament is the waste pipe, can it go outside and up the wall in an insulated trunking or shall I keep it inside and put the trunking on the inside corner of the room and go up that way, which will of course been thopping a whole through two ceilings and my upstairs floor.

AndiePricie
Tradesman
Tradesman

by AndiePricie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:26 pm

Hi

Double check with the manufacturer. However I would locate the pipe outside, there is no need to insulate as the pipe will be empty most of the time (you do not need to insulate a conventional soil pipe)

Your soil pipe in the loft must travel down to the ground somewhere can't you find a lower/closer connection?, your kitchen waste pipe must discharge somewhere.

You will need to apply for Building Regs for this work.

End

Gadgetman Andy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Gadgetman Andy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:04 am

[quote="AndiePricie"]Hi

Double check with the manufacturer. However I would locate the pipe outside, there is no need to insulate as the pipe will be empty most of the time (you do not need to insulate a conventional soil pipe)

Your soil pipe in the loft must travel down to the ground somewhere can't you find a lower/closer connection?, your kitchen waste pipe must discharge somewhere.

You will need to apply for Building Regs for this work.

End[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

eljaybee
Ganger
Ganger

by eljaybee » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:46 pm

macerators are different and there is fluid within the pipe most of the time unlike a conventional soil stack - so being out side can be an issue

chrisy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by chrisy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:39 pm

I have a mascerator going straight up into my loft area and would make the following recommendation:

If the mascerator fails, you will need to remove it for servicing, but the pipe from the mascerator to the loft is full of nasty stuff and will drain down all over the floor once you remove the mascerator.

I would recommend installing a drain valve of some sort at the base of this pipe. This way you can drain down the nasty stuff in advance.

Some mascerators come with a drain in-built but its often too close to the floor to be of use.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1