Planning refusal
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chrisy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Planning refusal

by chrisy » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:00 pm

I am hoping to convert the upper floor of a shop into residential.

All architects have recommended 2 bedrooms, but planning are unhappy and may refuse, as the middle bedroom would only have a velux window in the ceiling (high) and a fire door to a protected staircase.

The planners are saying there is no quality of life in a bedroom with no external view. Is this normal grounds for refusal?

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:47 am

I don't know if it is normal ground for planning refusal, however you may well not be able to sell or rent it as a second bedroom on those ground.

If it is just for your own use could you make the planning applicaiton on the basis of it being a store room, study or kitchen?

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:35 pm

There are many people who will be happy to find a one bedroom flat with a walk in wardrobe. Especially if the living rooms are large. Trying to fit in two bedrooms is probably the wrong way to go. Storage is a big problem for many people these days.

chrisy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by chrisy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:41 pm

[quote="acsimpson"]I don't know if it is normal ground for planning refusal, however you may well not be able to sell or rent it as a second bedroom on those ground.

If it is just for your own use could you make the planning applicaiton on the basis of it being a store room, study or kitchen?[/quote]

Its a good point about how easy it might be to rent. Its not for personal use so I would want the planning to be 100%.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1