Replacing bathroom extractor fan
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jayu
Labourer
Labourer

Replacing bathroom extractor fan

by jayu » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:55 pm

To whoever has put aside their turkey and Christmas pudding left overs and is surfing the net...

I've scored everywhere to find the answer to my problem but can't seem to find anything that suits...

I have recently had my bathroom refitted (but electrician has now moved onto other jobs) and it is completely finished with the exception of replacing my old wall-mounted Greenwood pull cord fan (without timer) with a new non-pull-cord Greenwood fan (inc light) unit with timer.

I am happy to activate the fan using the switch above the door on the outside of the room, wihout utilising the timer over-run feature so the lack of a pull cord doesn't bother me.

However, the existing wiring available in the hole that my old fan used to take up just has a live, a neutral and an earth but the new fan has a live, a neutral, an earth and a switched live (which I gather is to allow for the timer over-run).

So my question is - [b]can I connect the live-live, neutral-neutral and earth-earth and simply block off the switched live from the fan and not connect it to anything? Will this just mean that the timer won't work but the fan and light will switch on and off using the isolator switch outside?[/b]

Thanks to anyone that reads this and replies and apologies if is a simple question but I don't want to find myself ysing trial and error and making escalating problems in the meantime!!! :lol:

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:24 pm

You would connect the live & neutral as per marker terminals. You would then quite likely need a small link wire from the L terminal to the LT terminal to trigger the fan.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi jayu,
it won't work unless you link both L & swL together at fan, whatever you do don't just connect to swL as it will burn out timer, which means even if you don't want it the fan won't run,
HNY,
Sparx

jayu
Labourer
Labourer

by jayu » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks for your replies Collectors and Sparx. So when you say "link both L & swL together at fan", I presume you simply mean put both wires into the same hole in the junction box connecting to the existing live wire coming out of the wall?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:59 pm

Yup!

N-N, E-E, L&swL -Lfrom supply,
regards Sparx

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2024 4:30 am