Flatpack Furniture - Overbed Units - Too Low for Wall Lighti
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
goodbottom
Labourer
Labourer

Flatpack Furniture - Overbed Units - Too Low for Wall Lighti

by goodbottom » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:53 pm

Has anyone got a good suggestion how to raise an overbed unit by about 8 inches? We had already done our wall lighting and decor and bought the furniture but made an error on the height of the bridging unit against a wall light we had halfway down the wall for over the bed. The furniture is solid pine in antique stain with bun feet. If we can raise it on either side by this much in a sympathetic way this should be ok. Much appreciated!

jackthebuilder
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jackthebuilder » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:05 pm

Hi Goodbottom

Let me see if I've got this right...the overbed unit, as it should be fitted, conflicts with the wall light that is already in position?

If so, could I suggest you mark the wall where the bottom of the overbed unit should be, remove the light fitting and then refix it immediately below the mark you made, cutting a channel for the cable from the new to old positions.

You might be lucky and have enough spare cable in the wall to stretch, but if not, a junction box and a short length of new cable should do the trick.

Fill the channel as best possible, but it should be hidden when the overbed unit is in place, so redecoration should not be necessary.

Let me know how you get on!

Jack.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:27 pm

another option would be to raise the units up (ceiling height permitting) and fitting a plinth around the base to hide the gap.

jackthebuilder
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jackthebuilder » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:13 am

Yes, I was thinking about a plinth Chris, but GB refers to 'bun feet' which I'm assuming is a bottom detailing that would look strange off the ground.

How are you getting on?

Jack.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 1:22 pm