Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Chestersprout
Labourer
Labourer

Hot bath tap trickle

by Chestersprout » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi
My hot bath tap in the upstairs bathroom has conked out! It's always been a lot lower pressure than the cold water tap and less than the sink taps too. This last few days it has gone to a trickle and then just fizzles out.
I checked the seal and replaced it in the header bit, but no better.
I've read the articles about attaching hoses to another tap and blowing out airlocks, but as I don't have a header tank - my hot water runs from a combi boiler downstairs - I am hesitant to do this in case it cocks up the boiler in anyway.
Any helpful suggestions would be welcomed - I would really fancy a long hot soak in the bath to finish up the weekend! Thank you.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:16 pm

It won't "mess up" the boiler. In fact it won't do anything at all! The hose trick will only work with low pressure systems.

If the hot is supplied by high pressure from a combi then it won't be airlocked at all.

The favourite cause has to be a faulty tap that won't turn on.

Remove the head and gently turn the water on slightly. Do you get any flow now?

Chestersprout
Labourer
Labourer

Hot bath tap trickle

by Chestersprout » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:32 pm

[quote="plumbbob"]It won't "mess up" the boiler. In fact it won't do anything at all! The hose trick will only work with low pressure systems.

If the hot is supplied by high pressure from a combi then it won't be airlocked at all.

The favourite cause has to be a faulty tap that won't turn on.

Remove the head and gently turn the water on slightly. Do you get any flow now?[/quote]

Hi
Thanks, I followed your advice, but still very light flow. Even took the cold tap head off and tried it on the hot, but still the same problem.
Do you think it is worth me replacing the "header assembly unit/tap cartridge" (the bit inside the tap with the washer in) and if so, what is the proper name for this bit please, as it seems to be referred to as a few different things...
Don't wish to sound completely incapable here, but I'm a bird that has little DIY experience, but is willing to 'learn and do' rather than getting a tradesman in, if the problem appears to be DIY-able! Thanks again.

Chestersprout
Labourer
Labourer

Hot bath tap trickle

by Chestersprout » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:37 pm

Still trying to work out this forum thingy, never mind me tap - so this message may appear twice.

I tried Plumbob's very good advice and took the tap head off and just used pliers to turn the inner cartridge, but no joy, just a trickle even when turned as far as it would go - and I had to turn it a fair way before any water came out at all. Took the cold tap head off and tried it on the hot, but same problem.

Should I just be looking to buy the inner cartridge bit that houses the black washer and replace that, or am I destined for new taps? These are only about 4 years old.

Once again, any help appreciated. The rubber duck is primed and ready to go once I can get the tap working! Cheers :D

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:12 pm

Turn the boiler off and run the tap - if it works fine with cold water then it's the washer expanding with the heat and blocking the water supply.

htg

Chestersprout
Labourer
Labourer

by Chestersprout » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:26 am

Thanks for the responses, although have now fixed the problem myself.
I replaced the taps (well the outer turning bit and inner gold colour cartridge - sold as a unit in localy DIY centre) and now all ok.
So for any of you having a similar problem, take off the tap head and look at the little clip on the gold inner cartridge - if it's loose or rusty, it's probably had it!
Note - if you're going to undo the gold coloured cartridge bit, turn the water off first!

thedoctor

Re: Hot bath tap trickle

by thedoctor » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:21 pm

An old project but a very popular one. There is now a page on the website offereing help with taps https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/ce ... c_taps.htm

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:40 pm