Change surface mounted socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
heathmount
Apprentice
Apprentice

Change surface mounted socket

by heathmount » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:50 pm

Hi there.

The worktop sockets in my kitchen are surface mounted. We are having a new kitchen fitted and I would like the sockets to be flush, i.e inset into the brick. I've read a few articles on how to do this and it looks reasonably straightforward.

Firstly as a non electrician am I allowed to do this? I'm not actually changing any wiring configuration so I should be okay?

Secondly is it worth me getting one of those drills with the box cutter attachments? Am I kidding myself that I can chase walls out with a normal drill and a hammer and chisel?

On the plus side the walls will be plastered after I've finished so neatness is not really an issue.

cheers

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:21 am

As to legal status if you live in England or Wales you need to read Part P document.

The sinkers and chasers do help but for such a small job hardly worth the money. Some plaster is a lot cheaper to correct any mistakes.

To comply with BS7671:2008 you will need RCD protection for buried cables and sockets under 20A.

Also you will need to inspect and test and the meters required cost around £750 so guess you will need to hire. If done under LABC then they have to test so maybe it would pay to register the work in Wales £100 plus vat in England charges seem to vary.

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:52 pm

IN effect you are exchanging like for like. you are, as I understand it, not installing any new wiring, just new socket faces which will be flush mounted. As such there is no part P requirement. If however you move any socketsor install new wiring then it is notifiable.
to cut the boxes you can drill dozens of holes around the box perimeter and within the boundary. this will make the job of chiseling out much easier.
Just be careful of already buried cabling

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 2:42 pm