Bad Cracks on Walls
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mitchell
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bad Cracks on Walls

by mitchell » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:06 am

Hi,

I am in a new house (3 years old) and I am getting round to repainting some of the rooms upstairs which were originally painted by the developers some 3 years ago. I need to know a way of fixing the cracks in the walls/coving so that they never come back. All of the cracks seem to be in the corners where the outer brick wall meets an internal plasterboard wall. Please see picture and suggestions on how I can fix this unsightly issue once and for all.

Many Thanks

Mitchell

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

by Dan the man » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:14 pm

That looks terrible, there must be some movement in the biuilding or the corners havent been taped, assuming the walls have been drylined check the corners and see if you can see a white mesh, if you cant then its not been taped, you could buy fibre tape and run it up the corners and fill over it and sand it down, scrape the exess plaster away from the coving and fill it with caulk too.

If the corners have got mesh in them then you may have a problem with the building.

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:33 am

Hi, as you say your house is only 3 years old wouldn't it be covered by the NHBC warranty. If it does you could get them to look at it first before you do anything. If not have the internal walls been skimmed or are they just plain plasterboard. As Dan says you should be able to see some type of scrim tape in the corners which is used to stop this from happening. If they have been taped then you could have a problem. Let us know what you find. Shed.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:34 pm