All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bahny
Labourer
Labourer

Water Company Isolating Valve.

by Bahny » Thu May 06, 2010 12:21 am

Hi All.

I want to replace a seized up stop cock and of course I need to isolate the supply at the Water Company's valve.

Is it permissible for me to operate this valve myself or must I get the water company to come and operate it for me?

I'm not sure if it would be illegal / against company regulations to do this myself.

Can anybody please advise?

Bahny

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu May 06, 2010 5:35 pm

No it is not a problem. That is what it is there for.

Bahny
Labourer
Labourer

by Bahny » Thu May 06, 2010 9:38 pm

plumbbob wrote:No it is not a problem. That is what it is there for.

Thanks plumbob.

In the meantime, I've been talking to an aquaintance earlier today who, unbeknowns to me, used to be a plumber; he pointed out to me that the pipe between the company valve and my internal stopcock is actually my responsibility, so if I had a problem in it, it would be up to me get it sorted; so it makes perfect sense for me have legitimate access to it.

For ages I've been under the impression that my internal stopcock was the customer / company interface, but clearly not.

Once again, many thanks.

Bahny.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri May 07, 2010 1:27 pm

Their responsibility and ownership stops at your boundary. Any pipework or installation after that is yours to look after. The only exception is if a water meter is fitted. That and it's immediate fittings associated with it (but not the supply to it) remains their responsibility simply because you will have no access to it because of tamper-proof seals.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 1:12 am