Best way to polish gloss paint to a smooth finish?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
D-Mac
Apprentice
Apprentice

Best way to polish gloss paint to a smooth finish?

by D-Mac » Fri May 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Hello all,

I have just painted some kitchen units for my camper van in gloss paint. The finish is currently a slight orange peel effect (I used a foam roller) but what I would prefer is a smooth as glass finish. Can anybody recommend how I can achieve this? I'm initally thinking of using varying grades of wet and dry paper followed by a cutting paste as is used for auto paint finishing (t-cut type of thing). Does this sound right or is there a better way?

Also, is it possible/wise/necessary to spray lacquer over the top of gloss?

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Thu May 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Your roller is the problem. If its easier for you to use to prevent runners then once you have applied the gloss use a brush to (lay off) the paint. T-cut will do nothing apart from make a mess. Its not commercial car paint you have.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:54 am

the only way to get a glass-like finish with gloss paint is to use:

good quality paint - i'd recommend dulux trade liquid gloss
a brush, NOT a roller
good brushing technique which only comes with practice.

rollers are ok and a nifty shortcut in certain applications, but will not give as good a finish as a brush.

also if you are going to use a roller, use flocked not foam - air bubbles from the foam will be left in the paint.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:35 am