Plasterboard ceilings with leaks
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bitterbug
Labourer
Labourer

Plasterboard ceilings with leaks

by bitterbug » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:19 pm

I live in a flat and have leaks coming through my ceiling which is plasterboard, this is a continuous problem and my landlord doesnt seem to be fixing the problem correctly as there is bubbles yet again in the ceiling and you can clearly see the lines of where the plasterboards are throughout the ceiling.... this is happening in the living room and kitchen not in the bathroom. It was previously happening due to the guttering not being cleaned on the roof (even though there is a flat above me so this is affecting that flat too) but there hasnt been any bad rain for this to be the cause this time.

Could someone please give me some advice on how my landlord should be fixing this ceiling problelm so i know what they should be doing instead of trying to pull a fast one yet again

Many thanks

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:08 pm

He should get a proper building firm in 1st of all to fix the source of the water. Then the ceiling should come down where damaged and replaced as gyproc is just like a big sponge. If there hasn't been any rain tho then surely it cant be the gutter maybe the pipe fro the sink or radiators from the above flat.? Hope you get this sorted it is your landlords duty to fix these problems and dampness can lead to asthma and so on.

Masheded
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Masheded » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:22 pm

Hi,

Are you friendly with the upstairs neighbours? Have you discussed this with them? This sounds awful, and these problems are easier resolved if you can all club together. Water pooling on the plaster board can quite easily cause a major fire risk if it gets into the light fittings etc, and cause a risk of electric shock, not to mention the whole lot coming down on your head. if it is a communal block, it could be worth phoning your local fire safety officer to take a look. Inform your landlord this is what you are planning to do as you dont feel its safe. Im sure hell realise that its going to be cheaper to fix the problem than have this kind of hassle. Ok, he maybe declare your flat unsafe for habitation ( a risk) but you surley want to be safe and not sorry. Hope you get this resolved, and dont be bullied. Atb Mash

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 3:24 am