plaster board/dry lining
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jeepster
Labourer
Labourer

plaster board/dry lining

by jeepster » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:58 am

Hi, im a newby, I am refurbishing a shower room, I have removed all old fittings and tiles, the plaster on one wall (brick) has fallen away quite a large area so I have removed all of it from this wall ,the wall is sound and true I am going to batton this wall with 50X50mm treated battons, and
then plaster board and tiles ,I need to conceal plumbing hence 50x50mm
battons. Is this as straight forward as I think? the joining wall is studing and skimmed plaster board, this is sound and level, in order to use larger heavier tiles can I nail new plaster board over existing plaster board and then tile directly onto it ? and do I need any special treatment on this wall where the shower will go? finally the next wall (brick outer wall) plastered
is sound can I tile onto this wall just in the area of the shower.....?

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

by Dan the man » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:20 pm

I would use cement based boards in the shower area (aquapanel) as these would be a long term investment as they do not rot when water eventually penetrates the tiles. They can also handle heavier tiles. If the walls are solid plaster where the shower area is then that would be just as good to tile straight onto.

jeepster
Labourer
Labourer

by jeepster » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:56 pm

Dan the man wrote:I would use cement based boards in the shower area (aquapanel) as these would be a long term investment as they do not rot when water eventually penetrates the tiles. They can also handle heavier tiles. If the walls are solid plaster where the shower area is then that would be just as good to tile straight onto.

Thanks Dan the man for your help, do you think it will be OK to use plaster board on top of the old plaster board in the non shower area....?

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

by Dan the man » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:51 pm

I'm not sure why you're plasterboarding on plasterboard??
If its 12.5mm board and its not damaged or has water damage then it will be fine to just tile straight onto!

If it is damaged then take the old stuff off and replace with new 12.5mm plasterboard, if you just go over the top of the old stuff then you run the risk of hitting pipes and missing studs, but if you insist on doing it then it will be ok.

jeepster
Labourer
Labourer

by jeepster » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:59 pm

Dan the man wrote:I'm not sure why you're plasterboarding on plasterboard??
If its 12.5mm board and its not damaged or has water damage then it will be fine to just tile straight onto!

If it is damaged then take the old stuff off and replace with new 12.5mm plasterboard, if you just go over the top of the old stuff then you run the risk of hitting pipes and missing studs, but if you insist on doing it then it will be ok.

Thanks again Dan the man, I will take your advice and crack on with the job, the only reason for using new plaster board was I had heard that
un-skimmed plaster board will carry a heavier tile, but I think the tiles my
misses likes will not be too heavy anyway...
cheers and thanks again..

chriseccles2
Apprentice
Apprentice

by chriseccles2 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:55 am

I agree with Dan the Man.
Aquapanel is the way to go.
-
Also, make sure your battening out is TREATED timber.
Only ever fix Aquapanel with the stainless bumper screws they
provide, and don't forget to scrim the joints with tape and
tile cement just prior to tiling up.

An Aquapanel'd shower cubicle will never give you any trouble
with tiles popping or damage to substructure.

CRE

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 6:25 am