hiding wires in the wall
Find answers to popular questions or post your own regarding any aspect of home entertainment

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gjdicks
Apprentice
Apprentice

hiding wires in the wall

by gjdicks » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:37 pm

I am puting an lcd tv onto my chimney breast and want to know how exactly to track the walls out to fit the av and electrical wires into the wall and out of sight??

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:08 am

Type of chimney and thickness of plaster will have a big bearing on what you can do. On original fit we tend to use capping over cables but on existing oval conduit the latter need less plaster removing. Data and power should be 300mm apart as it if this is done would depend on local issues but would look at the new cable designed to be buried in walls like flexisheald as it would be better EMC wise. Any cable coming out of a wall will need some thing to hold it from a cooker outlet to the mulit-data boxes i.e. some form of wall plate not allowed links but look for tvlink and distribution and you should see wall plate samples. With my TV we changed our mind on wall mount as we realized we had sky, DVD Player/ Radio, DVD recorder, VCR, Laptop, Headphones remote, aerial, and power and the back of the TV looks like a roadies nightmare and a floor based unit is far better to hide wires and hold all the bits that go with the TV. Plus with flue brick I have to be very careful with chimney breast as to drilling etc. You may want to look at grid system. This allows you to make up your own plate and gives better mix and match than ready built wall plates.

madride
Apprentice
Apprentice

by madride » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:18 am

As long as you don't hit a stud you should be alright. If it's an out side wall you will have to deal with insulation. Use a hole saw and save the plug in case you ever want to fill the hole back in. Also the lower hole might have your outlet wire where you are drilling.

madride
Apprentice
Apprentice

by madride » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:19 am

As long as you don't hit a stud you should be alright. If it's an out side wall you will have to deal with insulation. Use a hole saw and save the plug in case you ever want to fill the hole back in. Also the lower hole might have your outlet wire where you are drilling.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:49 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/ , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes

PaulWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: hiding wires in the wall

by PaulWhite » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi. Rather than having to go through the mess of putting holes in your walls. Why dont you consider decorative trunking?

D-Line cable management products are used to hide cables in homes.

check them out!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:55 am