Wall insulation disappeared?
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PaulWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wall insulation disappeared?

by PaulWhite » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:10 pm

Hi,

We've been having the roof re-insulated on our extension because it wasn't really done when it was built (before our time there) and have discovered an extra reason why the room is so cold - the wall insulation seems to have disappeared.
There seems to be a little but not much. Do you think it was not done properly/begun and not started or it could have sunk down the wall cavity so it's in the bottom?
Would this happen again? What should I do to avoid it?

Thanks

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:18 pm

Some twenty odd years ago the government of the day recommended that cavity wall insulation should not be installed in homes in the west of the UK or in homes that are in exposed situations.

Never the less, companies continue to sell and install this product.

Cavity wall insulation should only be installed where you know that the external wall is water tight and that you know it will remain water tight for the life of the building.

Cavity wall insulation is only as good as the person who installs it, makes it.

I have found many instances where the installer has left large gaps in the insulation, mainly down the sides of windows, doors and corners.

I am writing about holes that are four feet long and two or more feet wide.

Creating large cold patches of wall, where condensation forms in the wall and destroys its insulation value.

Cavity wall insulation also sags over time, leaving the most important part of the wall cold and damp.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:58 am