WATER RUNNING DOWN GARAGE WALL
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

WATER RUNNING DOWN GARAGE WALL

Post by toplondonchef » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:07 pm

Had double garage doors replaced, new concrete lintels installed and block work above doors rebuilt

The builder topped the blocks with copping stones and finally rendered the front of the garage and new blocks - all looks good

Problem is that when it rains, water runs off coping stones and straight down garage walls and doors

There is very little overhang left from the coping stones after the scratch coat and render top coat was applied and I guesse that this is the cause of the problem, although the builder assured me that the overhang on the coping stones (evedent before rendering) would act as a drip bead

I've had nightmares with this builder / renderer and have given up trying to get him round to remidy problems he caused

What are my options here tp stop water running down my garage and brand new doors

Thanks for any help / advice given

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:34 pm

toplondonchef,
Fit a wider coping stone which incorporates a drip groove.
end

toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

Post by toplondonchef » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:55 pm

Thanks Stoneboy for reply;

You can get a coping stone with built in drip groove definately then ?

Why didn't my builder use this in the 1st place I wonder....
As I can no longer get in contact with this builder I will have to decide if to carry out this remedial work myself as will now cost me more money and I risk damaging the render when removing the existing coping stones

Cheers Stoneboy

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:04 am

toplondonchef,
If you go here you will see a whole range of coping stones with drip grooves - what they call throated.
Google "allenconcrete.co.uk/docfiles/building-brochure.pdf"
You'll have to decide on once or twice weathered but buy ones that give a good overhang.
Good luck with removing and re-fitting, it will take some careful work with a bolster.
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:00 am