Emulsion paint drying in strange patterns on chimney breast!
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
payney
Labourer
Labourer

Emulsion paint drying in strange patterns on chimney breast!

by payney » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi guys!

I've got a strange problem with my living room chimney breast!

For some reason, when it's been painted with emulsion (3 good coats now) the top right corner keeps drying in strange patterns. The rest of it is fine.

It's all got the same paper underneath, and is completely flat, so I'm at a bit of a loss for the patterns that keep appearing!

Here's a link to a photo of the problem:
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/20/photoas.jpg

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

:D

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:35 pm

payney,
Possibly wall paper paste on the paper below leaching through, try using oil based undercoat over area affected then repaint with your emulsion.
end

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:09 pm

Any better pics? Are you sure its not just that the top right is dry and the rest is staying damp due to the chimney breast i have seen that before.

payney
Labourer
Labourer

by payney » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:45 am

@Stoneyboy - that's a good idea - thanks!

JRS - it's been nearly a week and it's still like that, so deffo not a damp/drying issue.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated! :D

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi payney, I think JRS was saying that there could be some damp in the chimney breast itself which is causing it. Sometimes water comes down the inside of it and stains the outside. Or if it is a bungalow there could be a problem on the outside of the property which is causing the damp ie flashing or surrounding tiles. If you do try stoneyboy's approach it will stop any more coming through in the area you put the oil based undercoat ( I always mix oil based undercoat and gloss 50/50 myself as that always works for me but each to their own, if it works for you use it I say) but if it is due to damp in the chimney it will come through somewhere else.

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:34 pm

theshedman wrote:Hi payney, I think JRS was saying that there could be some damp in the chimney breast itself which is causing it. Sometimes water comes down the inside of it and stains the outside. Or if it is a bungalow there could be a problem on the outside of the property which is causing the damp ie flashing or surrounding tiles. If you do try stoneyboy's approach it will stop any more coming through in the area you put the oil based undercoat ( I always mix oil based undercoat and gloss 50/50 myself as that always works for me but each to their own, if it works for you use it I say) but if it is due to damp in the chimney it will come through somewhere else.

Thank for clearing that up mate. As he said. Try oil based but if it comes back you will need to find the source of the dampness or it will keep coming back no matter what you use.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 11:55 am