Advantage of digital shower mixer
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kenny bush
Labourer
Labourer

Advantage of digital shower mixer

by kenny bush » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on what type of shower to buy.
I'm fitting a new shower into my ensuite room. I plan on fitting a pumped / power shower, but not sure what type to buy.

First question is what is the advantage of a digital mixer, over a normal mixer, and is it worth the extra few quid?

Secondly, if I buy a shower that is meant to work off a pump, from a vented system, will the same shower work if I change the boiler to a combi later on, and just take the pumpout of the system?

Thanks in advance for any advice given. I'm a complete novice at DIY, so please tell me if what I'm saying doesn't make sence.

gilo
Labourer
Labourer

Shower valves v Thermostatic shower valves

by gilo » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:32 pm

A thermostatic shower valve has the advantage of having a lock mechanism at 38c which is good if you have very young children as it stops them scolding themselves but personally I prefer the manual valves because they are easier to operate (1 lever) and cheaper. If you put a combi boiler in later it should be a case of removing the pump and making good? But I am not a plumber.

For Shower Controls - http://www.livinghouse.co.uk/acatalog/T ... trols.html

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Advantage of digital shower mixer

by plumbbob » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm

kenny bush wrote:
First question is what is the advantage of a digital mixer, over a normal mixer, and is it worth the extra few quid?

This is totally dependant on your point of view. In some ways, these showers could be described as technology looking for somewhere to happen. The more complicated they are, the more there is to go wrong.

kenny bush wrote:Secondly, if I buy a shower that is meant to work off a pump, from a vented system, will the same shower work if I change the boiler to a combi later on, and just take the pumpout of the system?

You'd have to check. With a standard mixer shower and separate pump, yes conversion is as simple as removing the pump. With the digital, some pumps can be turned off, but others cannot be converted without hefty costs.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:43 pm