Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Debswwk
Labourer
Labourer

Help choosing a soundproofing system for 1930s mid terraced

by Debswwk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi,

We need some help with choosing a soundproofing system that would be suitable to our problem. We live in a 1930s mid terraced and the neighbours on one side are loud with their TV, talking and shouting, loud music and children. Tried other things but nothing works - only solution is to soundproof. Noise comes through lounge and Front bedroom (worst of noise) and back bedroom (TV/radio and talking). Sound coming through the walls.

I have searched on loads of websites and it's a mine field as to which system is going to work.

1) Do I install the system that sticks straight to the wall with only a 2inch loss - how do I know this will be enough

2) I've read that having a stud wall is better as there is a gap between the adjoining and stud wall, but there are so many materials that can be bought and the cost is running away with me.

I was looking to build stud wall, insert acoustic mineral wool in between batons, fit acoustic resiliant bars across top and bottom, attach one layer pasterboard and mastic seal edges, fit shock membrane over plasterboard and finally, second layer of plasterboard offset against the first.

Is this overkill for noisy neighbours?

I'm also stuck with which company to go with as each have their own slightly different systems? Can I not just buy the products separately or do I have to buy the full system from one particular company? If the latter, do you have any recommendations of companies that are good on price?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we've put up with this for nearly 3 years now and it's driving me insane!!

Thanks loads

Debs

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:33 pm

Debswwk,
Suggest you try a simple solution first in one room.
Fix ceiling and floor plates 25-50mm away from the party wall and build a stud wall using these - this will give you a false wall isolated from the party wall. Fill the 25-50mm gap and the space between the vertical studding with acoustic insulation and overboard with plasterboard screwed to the stud wall. See how effective this is before going to a more complex solution.
end

Debswwk
Labourer
Labourer

by Debswwk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi Stoneybody,

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll try it first - certainly a lot cheaper than some of the other solutions!

Thanks again for your help. Hopefully I won't be back on this site as it will have worked :-)

Debs

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:25 pm

The first thing to try, is low cost.

Try positioning your own TV and audio equipment again the
problem walls and move your listening position to the other
side of the room as far away from next doors noise as
possible. This will make a considerable difference, not the
least because you can jack the sound level up high enough
to drown out next door and be able to hear your own
programme.

Consider how much noise your family makes.

Go next door and ask them how much noise you make, you
may be surprised by their answer. You may consider staying there for a while to hear the noise of your own family.

Use this as a method of bringing up the subject of how much
noise they make.

Check, do you live on a noisy road? Do they have their
windows open all time, they may make more noise to
overcome the background noises from outside.

Do you have your windows closed, making your home quieter?

You do not attach anything to the wall surface, doing this will
merely transmit the noise by conduction.

Having tried method one, then buy a noise meter and use it
to identify exactly where the noise is coming from.

Is the noise coming through the middle of the wall?
Or is it coming round the wall, from above the ceiling or under the floor? Very often the noise is coming round the wall and through gaps in the spaces between the joists or through open windows.

Fitting a thin plywood wall just clear of the existing wall, will often act like a drum skin and absorb enough noise to make things tolerable. Two layers of different thicknesses separated by a one inch air gap will make a difference and will not take up much room.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:20 am