Make a 6ft wide X 6.75Ft high ope in a solid 4" Load be
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vectra
Labourer
Labourer

Make a 6ft wide X 6.75Ft high ope in a solid 4" Load be

by vectra » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:48 am

Is the following the correct way to do this Job;

The Floor is solid Concrete on either side of the Wall. Wall height is 95" construcred with standard 18 x 4 x 9" blocks,

lay a sheet of 8' X 4' Plywood on either side of the Wall,

support the overhead joists with a 5" X 2" X 9' on either side of the wall, at a 2' removefrom the wall, held in position by 3 Acros on either side of the wall and standing on the Plywood, (I am using the PLywood to ensure I do not damage the Floor on either side of the WAll i.e. Tiles and Carpet,

Cut out the ope for the Lintel with a Consaw (extending 1Ft on either side of the ope) whilst also starting the downward cuts that will be underneath the Lintel,

remove the blocks for the Lintel and put the Lintel in position with mortar above and below,

continue and make 4 x vertical downward cuts to the floor and remove the blocks with a Lump hammer,

Leave the Acros in position for two days,

any suggestions to curtail the dust as I will be cutting from the kitchen side of the wall?

Is the above plan in order and is it ok to put the Lintel in position and take out the wall in 1 day?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:44 pm

vectra,
You must support the wall directly above the level of the lintol - use strongboys into the wall at a course level.
You must let the mortar set before removing any temporary support so leave at least 24 hours.
The disc cutter will make a hell of a mess and within minutes you won't see anything especially where you are cutting - try to find an alternative.
end

fmck
Apprentice
Apprentice

by fmck » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:22 pm

Just ask for a water bottle when you hire a stihl saw any hire shop should have them. Make sure its pumping water before you leave.
Try to create a polythene bubble round the area as it will create slurry and there will be a chance of it spraying.

This is pretty much standard practice in the construction industry when you need to cut in a near completed building.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:21 am