strip or sand?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
poula_jones
Labourer
Labourer

strip or sand?

by poula_jones » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:14 am

Hi friend, new to this place.....so I may be posting this in wrong place. but I am thinking of refinishing my 1950's knotty pine kitchen cabinets. I do not know if I need to strip the original varnish off first than sand or can I just sand the cabinets using 120 paper?

----------------------
[url=http://www.shuttermaster.co.uk/wooden-window-shutters/wooden-window-shutters.html]wooden window shutters[/url]
Last edited by poula_jones on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

simaljon
Labourer
Labourer

RE: Strip or sand?

by simaljon » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:59 pm

Hi and welcome.

I had the same dilemma with some 1930's pine doors that had been varnished so I imagine that kitchen cabs will similar. I tried sanding and found that the paper was getting clogged with the old varnish and I couldn't get into the detailed areas sufficently. Not to mention that my muscles took a pounding after several hours of vibrating with the sander!

In the end I plumped for chemical stripping and although it was a somewhat unpleasant job the results where much quicker and gave a better finish. If you can afford it take them to a professional stripper who will dip and strip them for you. Otherwise there are plenty of varnish removal kits etc around.

Today (five years on) I have a whole set of lovely waxed doors which look better and smell wonderful. They do need more care but it is worth it.

Good luck

Chivs
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Chivs » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:23 am

Hi. Visit the projects page under paint stripping and you will find a very safe alternative to the so called nasty solvent based products out there.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 8:29 pm