cat problems
Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bluto20vt
Labourer
Labourer

cat problems

by bluto20vt » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:55 pm

I am currently renovating a house and have a problem with local cats using the garden as a giant litter tray :evil: I have tried using cat repellent pellets (during the summer) but found a cheeky little sod sunbathing on top of the pellets within 2 hours of spreading them.

So, does anyone know an easy way of getting rid of the cats???

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

cats

by welsh brickie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:26 am

cut up lemons and spread them round the garden

bluto20vt
Labourer
Labourer

by bluto20vt » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Not heard that one before but i'm willing to give anything a go :D

Cheers

hennell
Labourer
Labourer

by hennell » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:31 pm

True. Cats dislike the smell of citrus fruits. However, do not to put them on your garden because citrus peels are very acidic which is not good for the soil.

Harworth
Labourer
Labourer

Lemons

by Harworth » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:52 pm

I'm not sure about lemons - I find oranges, being round, fly more accurately..... or did I misunderstand this? :lol:

More seriously, I have found that simply shouting (really, really loud) and running at the cats puts them off coming into your garden in a short time.

Nearlyman
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Nearlyman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:50 pm

I think the one about the oranges flying better than lemons very extravagant and OTT - but it's his money. But I too detest cats defecating in my garden - they always find out where I just planted and proceed to dig a hole and perform.
I have had success with carefully aimed nodules of soil about the size of a walnut - secret is DO NOT SHOUT - the silent approach is best. The soil pellets do them no harm, but coming soundlessly 'out of the blue' certainly scares the wits out of them; it takes ages before they venture back again - I did say 'wits' didn't I? :twisted:

HH
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: cat problems

by HH » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:56 am

bluto20vt wrote:So, does anyone know an easy way of getting rid of the cats???

Shotgun !

but seriously...
I can vouch for the ultrasonic cat repellers, they worked for me.
Got mine from ebay long time ago.
Work using 9v batteries. Some come with 240v adaptor. Round about the 20 quid mark.
They won’t manage a big garden but being battery powered can always be moved around to strategic places. They have a plastic stake that drives into the ground, the body fits onto this stake.
Doesn’t stop cats from coming in/wandering round, they must not like the noise when it comes to them doing their needs.
They didn’t work straight away for me, if took a few weeks for cats to stop, but they stopped. Found somewhere else of course (quieter?) but that was well away from the area that was to be kept clean.

If that doesn't work go back to the first one.
Or....
Ask Mary Bale.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Oct 02, 2024 6:21 pm