Cracks on Ceiling and Walls in a New House
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
flojo
Labourer
Labourer

Cracks on Ceiling and Walls in a New House

by flojo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:55 am

Hi, I'm probably worrying about nothing but I know nothing about DIY. My house is 10yrs old & I have noticed that I have cracks along my ceilings, along the skirting boards where they meet the walls, along my walls where they meet the doors & my architraves have cracks where each seperate piece meets (along where they join together). Is this normal as this is the case in every room & will they get worse if I leave them? Please help!

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:47 pm

Probably just normal new build cracks. Normally when houses are built they are cold and damp when taped and decorated, but when a tenant moves in the heating expands all the materials causing them to move apart. Like settlement cracks. Round the skirting and facings cut away the old caulk and re-do. The cracks on the ceiling and walls might need replaced too but only if you want the expense.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:26 pm

yup - totally normal i'm afraid. from your description all the cracks are appearing in areas where some normal movement would be expected. you can either waste your life continually filling and painting them only for them to reappear or you can go and find something more worthwhile to do! but from a structural point of view i doubt that you have anything to worry about.

hunt
Labourer
Labourer

by hunt » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:16 am

cracks are normally found after some time on surface of wall, it is routine, temperature is main cause of this problem 8)

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:19 am