Electrical safety checks for work done a couple of years ago
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nerd_biker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Electrical safety checks for work done a couple of years ago

by nerd_biker » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:17 pm

We are selling our house and had a query from the buyer regarding any electrical work done and asking to see the certification. We had a new consumer unit installed as part of work to replace the kitchen back in 2008 but, due to a dispute with the kitchen fitting company, we never received the electrical safety certificate.

I do not want to go back to the original company about this, is it possible to get an electrician to certify the work even though it was done over two years ago?

Also, am I in a bad position legally? If I have not received the certificate I imagine the council did not either.

Thanks for any advice,
Anthony

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:13 am

Can only suggest you get a periodic electrical inspection for the whole house. (Its the same inspection a landlord would get) The cost would be around £120 & £250 (approximately) depending on area & size of house. This will also show up any other problems that might need attending to.
So it could work for you or against depending on the house wiring condition.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:55 am

If the electrician who did the work was a member of a scheme then he would have had to submit the paperwork if he energised the circuits. This is not dependent on payment.

If the work was under LABC again the council would need to issue the completion certificate.

You can get a PIR done and likely that will be accepted but the only time when the completion certificate can be withheld is if the work is not completed. For example if you booted the workmen off the job. In which case you would need to do as I did. Inform the LABC and let them take over the certifying of the work. The problem is only the guys doing the work can complete the installation certificate and the LABC want to see the installation certificate. But they can exercise discretion and can accept a PIR where they feel that the parts not visible are likely sound.

They also could insist on wiring being exposed for inspection but normally they will only insist on that if they suspect there may be hidden faults.

nerd_biker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the advice

by nerd_biker » Tue May 03, 2011 10:12 am

I phoned all the electrical schemes to see if they had any work registered at my address, none of them did, which implies the electrician who did the work knows nothing about the regulations.

In the end I got an electrical inspection for the whole house done, cost was £180. I found the electrician through the web site "competentperson.co.uk"

This certificate has been accepted by our solicitors and the sale is proceeding. Thanks for the help.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:17 pm